How to install a smoke alarm
Here are some things to keep in mind when you are installing your smoke alarm:
- Follow the manufacturer's installation instructions.
- On the ceilings, mount the device away from corners and walls, which have dead air space nearby.
- About eight to 10 inches is the recommended distance.
- On walls, install the alarms high, because smoke rises, and place them eight to 10 inches away from corners and ceilings.
- Install smoke alarms at least three feet from vents, which might recirculate the smoke.
- Never place smoke alarms on uninsulated walls or ceilings.
- Extreme temperatures can ruin batteries and prevent smoke from reaching the alarms.
- Exit drills in the home Smoke alarms provide an early warning system to allow you and your family extra time to get out of the house fast during a fire.
- If the alarm sounds be sure each family member knows what the alarm sounds like and what to do.
Families should regularly practice Operation EDITH - Exit Drills In The Home. This means having a prepared escape plan, with two possible escape routes from every room, and a prearranged meeting place outside the house. Families should actually run through a fire drill at least twice a year.